Located in the Acute Care Patient Park behind Koerner Pavilion, UBC Hospital, Mother and Child was given to UBC by an anonymous donor in 1957. Prior to 2016, the work had been situated between the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre and the Hennings Building until construction of the Indian Residential School History and Dialogue Centre forced its relocation. Mother and Child was originally intended for the entrance of the new Education Building and was meant to be accompanied by a pendant sculpture entitled Father and Child. However, the building was not finished until ten years after the commission and Father and Child was never completed. The sculpture was cast in 1956 in Rome, Italy by the Foundry of Signor Uicci.
Norris (1928-2013) was born in Victoria, BC, and studied at the Vancouver School of Art, Syracuse University and at Slade School of Fine Arts in London, England. He taught at UBC’s Extension Department and the Vancouver School of Art. In the 1960s and 1970s Norris was well known as a sculptor and received numerous commissions at sites including churches, hotels, commercial buildings and UBC. His projects were often conceived in close collaboration with the architects of the building for which his work was commissioned. Norris has several sculptures on campus, including the UBC ceremonial mace. His large fountain, The Crab (1968) was commissioned by the Vancouver Centennial Commission to celebrate Canada’s centennial in 1967 and is located at the entrance to the Museum of Vancouver in Vanier Park. Norris is the recipient of the City of Vancouver Mayor’s Art Award in 2010.
|Man about to Plant Alfalfa|