This work features a large stylized head with Asian characteristics and has been variously interpreted as both a man and a woman. The original sculpture, executed in 1958 by Otto Fischer-Credo and generously donated by Mrs. Astrid Fischer-Credo, was replaced in 1977 with a replica made by Gerhard Class. The replica sculpture is constructed of marble, sand and polyester resin and is located at the north end of the covered walkway between the Music and Lasserre Buildings. Its position under the walkway frames the view of the work and creates a sense of drama. Asiatic Head was originally exhibited on the UBC campus and then at the Burnaby Municipal Hall as part of an exhibition of outdoor sculpture organized in 1958 by the Northwest Institute of Sculptors in association with UBC’s Department of University Extension, the BC Centennial Committee and the Municipality of Burnaby.
Fischer-Credo (1890-1959) was born in Berlin. He studied at the Akademie der Künste in Berlin from 1908 to 1915 and the Royal Academy of Art in Paris from 1919 to 1921. From the 1920s to1930s, Fischer-Credo lived and worked in Manila where he created monumental sculptures for civic buildings and bridges. During the Second World War, Fischer-Credo was conscripted into the German military as a war artist before moving to Vancouver in 1957. His work has been exhibited in the Phillipines, Mexico, Cuba and the United States.